The Aurora Summit offers a weekend packed with activities related to the Northern Lights, Astrophotography and the Night Sky.
Details are being finalized! Visit this page in June for the Aurora Summit 19 Schedule. RSVP or Register: TheAuroraSummit.com
Aurora Summit 19: Conference Schedule
Aurora Summit 19, the third annual conference, will feature a keynote speaker, a panel discussion, educational sessions, hands-on astrophotography demonstrations, a banquet with an Aurora Slideshow, and many opportunities for night sky photography. We also have some special features planned!
In 2019, we’re proud to present Keynote Speaker Chris Ratzlaff, admin of the Alberta Aurora Chasers and one of the citizen scientists who discovered the sub auroral arc, known as STEVE.
Check out our Events page to learn about the presenters!
Tentative Conference Schedule
Below is a tentative conference schedule for Aurora Summit 19. This page will be updated when the schedule is finalized.
Times and activities may be subject to change.
AURORA SUMMIT 19
Friday, Nov. 1 — Sunday, Nov. 3, 2019
All activities take place at the Harbor View Event Center, located on Lake Superior’s shore in Washburn, Wisconsin. The host hotel is the Washburn Inn, with a Quality Inn located nearby.
FRIDAY, NOV. 1
2:00pm – 5:00pm: Registration at Harbor View Event Center
5:00pm: Conference opens with Meet and Greet
Dinner Buffet (Included in Registration)
8:00-9:00pm: Aurora Matters! Panel Discussion
9:00pm: After Hours Activities
• Night photography on your own
SATURDAY, NOV. 2
8:00 – 8:55am: Session I
• Aurora Forecasting for Beginners, with Bob King (B)
• Essentials for Aurora Photography, with Christy Turner (B)
• Shooting the Milky Way, with Mark Ellis (I)
9:10 – 10:05am: Session II
• Discovering STEVE, with Chris Ratzlaff (B)
• Astrophotography with Equatorial Trackers, with Paul Nelson (I)
• Deep Freeze Photography: Tips for Subzero Shooting, with Amber Nichols (B)
10:20 – 11:15am: Session III
• Know Your Sky, Know What to Shoot, with Bob King (B)
• Night Sky Composites and Blends: A How-to Guide, with Mike Shaw (A)
• Smartphone Astrophotography, with Christian Harris (B)
Aurora Chasers Atlas — Meet new travel companions!
11:30 – 1:30pm: Soup & Sandwich Lunch (Included in Registration)
1:35 – 2:30pm: Session IV
• Mysteries of Solar Wind Data Revealed, with Christian Harris (A)
• Intro to Time Lapse Capture & Editing, with Mark Ellis (I)
• Urban Legends of Space: Astro Science v. Pseudoscience, with Bob King (B)
2:45 – 3:40pm: Session V
• Secrets of the Goddess of the Dawn: Aurora Myth & Legend, with Melissa Kaelin (B)
• Deep Sky Photography, with Matthew Moses (A)
• The Light Painting Toolbox, with Roger Feldhans (B)
3:55 – 4:50pm: Session VI
• NASA’s Spectra Lens and the Sub Auroral Arc, with Christy Turner (I)
• Post Processing Night Sky Photos, with Matthew Moses (I)
• Phenomenal Light Painting, with Jamie Rabold (I)
4:50 – 5:00pm: Group Photo on the Lakeshore
Cash Bar Opens
6:00-9:00pm: Aurora Summit Banquet (Included in Registration)
• Featuring Keynote Speaker Chris Ratzlaff
• Aurora Slideshow
9:30-11pm: Hands-on Night Demonstrations (Times are Tentative)
• 9:30pm: How to Focus in the Dark
Outdoor demonstration led by Mike Shaw
• 10pm – 11pm: Light Painting Party
Outdoor demonstration led by Light Painters Roger Feldhans and Jamie Rabold
Interactive! Bring your own light toys, light strips and costumes to get in on the fun!
SUNDAY, NOV. 3
Sunday Special Features:
More details to come!
• Aurora Chasing Travelogue
• Grand Finale: Aurora Chasers Competition, Raffle Prizes, Photo Review
12:30pm: Farewell; Lunch on your own
Opportunities After Hours
At the Aurora Summit, there’s time to enjoy other activities on your own, before and after each conference day. Located on the hotel property, Lake Superior’s shore provides an excellent view for photographing the Northern Lights.
Opportunities after hours include:
• Sunrise & Sunset Photography over Lake Superior
• Beach Bonfire on Lake Superior‘s Shore
• Aurora Chasing
• Night Photography
• Light Painting
Do you have more questions? Get answers with the FAQ.